Valtravieso VT Vendimia Seleccionada 2016
The highest estate in Ribera del Duero
- Year 2016
D.O. Ribera del Duero
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tinta Fina
Mínimo 40 años
Time in Barrel
Time in Bottle
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker Ricardo Velasco
Awards & accolades
VT Vendimia Seleccionada is, probably, the most atypical red wine not only in terms of its varietal composition, but also due to more active presence of French origin varieties, such as Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, yet without abandoning the riverside style. With less wood presence Valtravieso want to emphasize in this wine more “Atlantic” shades (redcurrants and blueberries) of these grape stocks and the fact that two of them participate in 25% assembly with the fine red wine. This wine gives a more involved and mature style. A wine of Ribera del Duero Appellation, of centenary vineyards, with an average age of 80 years, cultivated in shallow, poorly fertile soils, with a high content of active limestone and especially stony, located 900 meters above the sea level, in Revilla, Santa Maria, El Obispo and El Buey.
Made with 75% fine red grape, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Merlot. Grape was selected by hand in boxes of 15 kilograms. Prior to having the stems removed, the intact grapes were placed into fermentation 10,000-kilogram tanks after pre-fermentation maceration at low temperature. The alcoholic fermentation lasted for a period of 8 days on average, continued with the skins vatting for other 15 to 19 days. Malolactic fermentation was carried out in the barrel only for Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon varieties, the rest did the same in the deposits. During 8 to 10-month aging the wines were with their fine lees. All the barrels used in this wine ageing are new French oak coming from Allier, Bertrange, Vosges, Tronçais and Nevers forests.
The wine highlights its balsamic aromas, red fruit and, in the background, slight smoky echoes of oak. It is fresh, fruity, earthy, with wild herbs memories. In the mouth it is also balsamic, spicy, with good acidity and red and black fruits memories.
- Colour An intense deep cherry red colour, with purple hues. An excellent brightness in a wine which has not been clarified nor filtered.
- Nose Very complex aromas, with red fruit notes, prunes and fruit compote, with memories of liquorice from the Tinta Fina variety and floral notes from the Merlot variety. Gently toasted and mentholated aromas appear along with an appealing spice and red fruit component which is typical of high quality French wood.
- Palate Powerful in the mouth, full-bodied with very sweet tannins, a good balance in acidity/alcohol content, which prolongs the wine tasting. A wine with a lingering aftertaste.
- Food pairing Recommended for roast dishes, meat dishes with rich sauces, small game, turbot, sea bream, mature cheeses and dark chocolates.