Valtravieso Reserva 2016
The highest estate in Ribera del Duero
- Year 2016
D.O. Ribera del Duero
Merlot, Sauvignon, Tinta Fina
Mínimo 35 años
Time in Barrel
- Winemaker Ricardo Velasco
Awards & accolades
Valtravieso Reserva is a red wine with characteristics, perfectly suitable for challenging the process of long ageing, mainly thanks to its clusters of strong maturity, but also with acidity caused by the altitude. For this wine production new barrels from three French forests were selected with an ageing period of not less than 36 months, distributed in 12-month periods for each forest.
It is made with 100% Tinta Fina, in other words, Tempranillo acclimated to thermal amplitude of this Appellation of Origin. The grape was selected by hand in boxes of 15 kilograms. Careful fermentation was carried out at controlled temperature, followed by 35-day maceration, time necessary to assume such long ageing with perfect polyphenolic extraction. Malolactic fermentation was later carried out in the same barrels, completing the process with 20-month bottle maturation.
The red wine demonstrates a beautiful maroon cherry colour, it has a potent spicy aroma with French oak creamy note, toasted and earthy background, with good fruity expression and fresh acidity.
- Colour Beautiful cherry red colour though with purplish shades. Very bright.
- Nose The nose shows an excellent fruity quality dominated by plum, raisin and dried apricot surrounded by an exquisite aroma of dark berries.
- Palate Woods of an excellent quality accompany the fruity sensations without predominating. The aftertaste results in fine smoked and spiced shades that show a good tannic character in the mouth with body and roundness.
- Food pairing Recommended pairings include roasted suckling lamb or beef, red meats and rich fish dishes.