Valtravieso Crianza 2017
The highest estate in Ribera del Duero
- Year 2017
D.O. Ribera del Duero
Merlot, Sauvignon, Tinta Fina
> 35 Years Old
Time in Barrel
Time in Bottle
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker Ricardo Velasco
Awards & accolades
Valtravieso Crianza comes from centenary vineyards with an average age of 80 years, with low depths, low fertility, high active limestone component and especially stony. They are the yards of Revilla, Santa María, El Obispo and El Buey, all located at a 900- metre altitude.
85% made with Tinto Fino, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot. The grapes were selected by hand and transported to the winery in boxes of 15 kilograms, later had their stems removed and was vatted without squeezing. Pre-fermentative cold maceration was carried out at 6°C for 7 days, followed by alcoholic fermentation in independent deposits, each variety having native yeasts present in the grape skin by nature. Merlot and Cabernet varieties performed malolactic fermentation in oak. Subsequently, the whole harvest was then placed for 12 months into French barrels for up to 4 years of use, in order to prevail fruit characteristics on its developmental stages.
A maroon cherry red colour, with a fruity ripe aroma, with slight oak spice. In the mouth the tannins appear with a soft touch and get fused with the rest of the wine components.
- Colour Intense cherry red with some purplish hues. Excellent brightness.
- Nose Very complex, the sensation of fruit dominates and there is a blend of violet and white flower aromas. Noble wood aromas are perfectly integrated and complete this excellent range with reminiscences of cocoa and coffee, vanilla and some toasted notes.
- Palate In the mouth it displays fruit, roundness and a balanced acidity. A sound tannin structure provides character and body, though as a whole it remains refined and gentle.
- Food pairing Ideal for rice dishes with vegetables, red meat, rich fish dishes and semi-cured cheeses.