Rolland Galarreta Esencia 2012
France meets Spain
- Year 2012
D.O. Ca. Rioja
Time in Barrel
Time in Bottle
Minimum 6 months
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker Michael Rolland
Awards & accolades
Rolland Galarreta Esencia, comes from selected vineyards with an average age of 60 years, located at an altitude more than 550 meters above sea level with a vineyards area of 8 hectares. Selected vineyards and located in the highlands of El Villar, Rioja Alavesa.
Made with 100% Tempranillo, the grape was selected with the help of Vistalys, an optical selection table by Bucher Vaslin, which carried out a strict control so that only berries in perfect condition would pass. The grapes had their stems removed from the grapes and the whole berries were placed into deposits. The grape underwent long maceration processes for 26 days at low temperature in oak barrels, run off by gravity and pressed with pneumatic and vertical press. Malolactic maceration was performed in new American oak barrels. This wine was aged in new American oak barrels for 18 months. Finally, the wine matured for at least 12 months in the bottle.
It is a classic, balanced and complex wine, in which you can distinguish floral touches, licorice and sweet spices notes.
- Colour Lovely deep dark cherry red colour.
- Nose Ripe and concentrated fruit aromas, with mineral and spicy traces, and notes of blackberry and blueberry jam wrapped in creamy oak and tones of toffee and café au lait.
- Palate Concentrated and fatty in the center, well-balanced and sweet with fine tannin. Very long and expressive, leaving a clear impression of the character of the terroir.
- Food pairing Suggested for dishes such as marmitako, a traditional basque stew prepared by fishermen and made with tuna, tomatoes and greenpeppers. It goes also well with lamb dishes, beef steak and grilled sea bream.