Luis Cañas Hiru 3 Racimos 2014
Success is in the details
- Year 2014
D.O. Ca. Rioja
> 60 years
Time in Barrel
100% french oak
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker Fidel Fernández Gómez
10%//= $badge_top_text_1; ?>**
Awards & accolades
Hiru 3 Racimos is the winery elite. It represents the vineyard expression of both the soil and the complexity of a 60-year-old vineyard with the roots exploring in the deepest subsoil minerals and microorganisms, which will determine the richness of a different wine, commonly called earthy notes. The vineyards are exposed on the steepest slopes, which allows lower water retention and, therefore, a slower grape and cluster size development as well as a smaller number of clusters, of only three per grape stock, 250 grams each. Sunny Rioja Alavesa classical style full of fleshiness, intensity and complexity.
Made with 90% Tempranillo and 10% Graciano. The grape was selected in small boxes at their optimum time of harvest, controlled at selection tables and vinified in small tanks at controlled temperature. After their alcoholic fermentation, the grapes were placed in the tank to extract all their tannic expression without losing the varietal and fruit silhouette. The produced wine was poured into new French oak barrels to provide their creamy and toasted touches and American oak barrels, which gives Rioja wood ageing trait, where malolactic fermentation was conducted. Later the wine was aged in new French oak barrels for 24 months. The result was a dark cherry red wine with a creamy and mineral aroma and flavour, characterized by enviable balance and complexity.
- Colour Lovely deep dark cherry red color.
- Nose Ripe and concentrated fruit aromas, with mineral and spice traces, and notes of blackberry and blueberry jam wrapped in creamy oak and tones of toffee and café au lait.
- Palate Concentrated and fatty in the center, well-balanced and sweet with fine tannin. Very long and expressive, leaving a clear impression of the character of the terroir.
- Food pairing Suggested for dishes such as marmitako, which is a traditional Basque stew prepared by fishermen and made with tuna, tomatoes and green peppers. It goes well with lamb dishes, beef steak and grilled sea bream.