Altos de Rioja Reserva 2016
Boutique winegrower inspired by Terroir
- Year 2016
D.O. Ca. Rioja
40 years old average
Time in Barrel
Time in Bottle
Minimum 12 months
- Winemaker Jean – Marc Sauboua & Héctor Gómez
Awards & accolades
Altos de Rioja Reserva reaches the very top of long-term aged production, a challenge of wise combination between the grape maturation control and consequent colour and tannins extraction during longer maturation in barrels, allowing a safe ageing. The vineyard, with an average age of 50 years, grown on the plots located in Rioja Alavesa highest areas, on Sierra Cantabria slopes, in Laguardia, Elvillar and Kripan, the Rioja Alavesa heart of the best ‘earthy taste’.
Tempranillo was harvested by hand, cluster by cluster, in small 15 kg boxes and, having entered the winery, placed on selection table, where non suitable grapes were removed. Prior to alcoholic fermentation, a 4-day cold maceration at 8°C was carried out, after which selected yeast were introduced in the deposits and alcoholic fermentation with exhaustive temperature controls was carried out. Once the fermentation was finished, the incubation was continued to complete the polyphenols extraction, which the oenologist considered adequate.
Malolactic fermentation was carried out in best new 80% French and 20%American oak barrels. During oak ageing the wine was placed together with fine lees, with periodic Batonages until reaching 24-month ageing in the same barrels with stirring every 6 months.
This long ageing does not imply the appearance of stronger oak flavour, yet, obtaining its spicy and creamy nuances in combination with Tempranillo mature fruit topped complemented with fine reduction in the bottle. The taste is rounded, oily and persistent.
- Colour Deep cherry red, clean and bright.
- Nose Good aromatic intensity with notes of ripe red fruits over a base of elegant balsamic.
- Palate Tasty, mellow, fresh and with fine nuances of sweet fruit. It has volume and the tannins are wel integrated and polished. In the afterstaste, touches of very ripe fruit and nuances of liquor appear making it last in the palate.
- Food pairing This wine pairs well with roasted lamb, feathered game, meaty stews or hard cheeses.