Val de Vid Barrica Verdejo 2019
Top selling Premium Verdejo
- Year 2019
24 years old (Verdejo), 50 years old (Viura)
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker José Antonio Merayo
Awards & accolades
Serrada and La Seca represent the origin of Rueda Appellation. If so, it is also the origin of the grape Verdejo. Castilla drylands is the place where the grapes roots must seek their nutrients in the depths of the soil. It is stated in the identity card of the old vineyards of Val de Vid. These are 20 their own hectares and 60 associated with an average age of 50 years. The area is located between 700 and 800 meters high with slight hills, a typical landscape of Rueda with long and cold winters, short springs and dry summers, which generate in the plant boundary conditions to produce grapes “with a strong personality”, grown on gravel soil that contributes its special varietal and earthy character.
Val de Vid Barrica Verdejo is a white wine that comes from vineyards of average age of 23 years, of alluvial terraces rich in calcium and magnesium, stony, with good drainage and ventilation.
The extreme conditions of the climate also provide a homogeneous fruit with assured maturity and acidity. After a cold maceration of 7 hours, the fermentation takes place at low temperature (14-16ºC). Both processes, the first one of aromatic extraction and the second due to its slowness, help to respect the varietal profile. After fermentation, the wine is kept in contact with the fine lees which provide roundness, a greasy feel and more extensive and glyceric sensations in the mouth. Finally, it will remain for 4 months in new French oak barrels.Straw coloured wine with a scent and fresh taste in the mouth, fruity, with memories of dry grass and wet straw, with toasted and creamy oak shades.
- Colour Medium intensity, straw yellow color with deep green reflections. Bright and well presented.
- Nose Intense. White fleshy fruit (pear, apple) and tropical fruits predominate. Hints of herbs (hay, fennel), balsamic echoes and an aniseed background with notes of white flowers.
- Palate Fresh, elegant and soft, but well structured. Tasty, aromatic and with easy entry into the mouth. Complex and persistent finish with bitter touches as is typical of this variety.
- Food pairing Perfect for rice dishes, smoked fish, salads, pasta with white sauces and white meat.