Gorka Izagirre G22 2018
Redifining Basque White Wine
- Year 2018
D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina
Time in Bottle
Minimum 6 months
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker José Ramón Calvo
Awards & accolades
Gorka Izagirre G22 is the elegance and subtlety of an Atlantic white wine which due to its freshness, acidity and fluidity evokes the humid low forest notes. It has been chosen from a small 6,5-hectare Bizkaiko Txakolina Appellation of Origin vineyard. They are 2 vineyards of 2 municipalities in which the grape stocks do not exceed the age of 15 years. The production is 6500 kg per hectare and the density is 3,300 grape stocks per hectare, grown on steep slopes that sometimes reach 30% inclination.
Made with 100% Hondarribi Zerratia variety, these are the grapes which ripen in very small clusters with weight between 100 and 120 gr on average, which are very scarce per grape stock. The grape was selected by hand, cluster by cluster, in boxes of 15 kg. Once in the winery, pre-fermentative cryomaceration was carried out for 12 hours, followed by soft pneumatic pressing. To eliminate the thick lees a 36-hour static decantation at 10°C and in inert atmosphere was made. The pure grape juice was then fermented at the lowest thermal limit for this process (14°C) in order to maintain all the fruit and grape varietal properties. When 18-day alcoholic fermentation was completed, an 8-month ageing process on its own lees begins, during which the lees are stirred once a day to obtain the herbal complexity of the variety and to increase the fatty touch, giving elegance and fluidity. The work of wine clarification implied further 4-months maturation in deposits followed by bottling. G22 By Gorka Izagirre was aged in the bottle for 12 months after its harvest, continuing its maturation process for approximately 6 more months before going to market.
The most important value of this wine is its capacity of ageing in the bottle, which delays the loss of its youth qualities and freshness. It is a wine that is going to evolve slowly during the next 5 years of its bottling, gaining complexity and nuances, obtaining exceptional volume, structure and elegance.
- Colour Clean, iridescent, with an extremely elegant presence. With yellow adornments and intense, bright-green hues that highlight its freshness.
- Nose First sensation is pear, ripe apple and grapefruit, leading to a secondary sensory level of complexity combining white flower essences with hints of lemon balm, lime blossom, white nettle, and fennel seeds.
- Palate It is full and dense. The nice fruity sensation always allows space for floral and balsamic essences on the after taste. Very complex.
- Food pairing It can be a perfect aperitif wine but where it shines is on the table, accompanying seafood, fish with powerful sauces and even meats.