Altos de Rioja Pigeage 2017
Boutique winegrower inspired by Terroir
- Year 2017
80% french oak, 20% american oak
D.O. Ca. Rioja
Suggested temperature for serving
Time in Barrel
> 60 years
- Winemaker Jean – Marc Sauboua & Héctor Gómez
Awards & accolades
The Rioja Alavesa contains the largest heritage of the Viura variety. Not by volume but by the quality of its soils and the age of its strains. So is this wine made with viura with more than 60 years of age, which is a guarantee of low yields and therefore of greater expression both varietal and the own one of the terroir.
The term “pigeage” is a gallicism that refers to the smooth and exquisite way of extracting the juice and the most elegant nuances of the skin of the grapes.
Altos de Rioja Pigeage Blanco, responds to the Burgundian methods of fermentation in barrels and a aging with its fine lees of 12 months in the same container, with 80% French oak that gives elegance and creaminess and 20% American oak that yields the most spicy and wild character of this wood. To avoid dominating the character of the oak, different ages of use of the barrels have been used: a third of new oak, a third of 2-use barrels and the rest with 3-year-old barrels.
The color is straw with yellow iridescence with a creamy and fruity aroma very well assembled, with slight memories of infusion herbs. On the palate it is powerful, fresh, fruity and spicy with a light creamy and fatty touch.
- Colour Clean and bright, with greyish hues at the edge.
- Nose Intense fresh floral aromas that give way to white fruits like pears and tropical fruits.
- Palate Dry with just enough acidity to make it fresh and lively with a structured and tasty finish of ripe fruit.
- Food pairing This wine goes well with grilled fish, fresh vegetables, salads as well as an aperitif.