Luis Cañas Viñas Viejas 2019
Success is in the details
- Year 2019
D.O. Ca. Rioja
> 60 years
Time in Bottle
Minimum 1 year
85% french oak, 15% american oak
Suggested temperature for serving
- Winemaker Fidel Fernández Gómez
Awards & accolades
Luis Cañas opted for the Rioja white wine as much as for the red one. The low production of its grape stocks, clay-calcareous soils and all their selection capacity, both in the vineyard and in the wine cellar, allowed to produce a pretty strong white wine, beyond the light and fruity concept that Rioja white wine has always had. For this, nothing could be better than production with fermentation in the barrel, old vineyards of 50 years and letting the clusters ripen in the wine stocks without caring about their alcoholic degree.
10% Rioja Malvasia addition to the Viura gives it a structure capable of supporting the exchange between grape lees and 4 months in the barrel. The grapes come from Alava vineyards, those with the lower yields and, perhaps, the most expressive ones of Rioja creating wines with body and freshness. The new wooden barrels are 85% French and 25% American oak, with 4-month ageing on fine lees being stirred in barrels.
What surprises the taster is the balance between its ageing characteristics in smoked and creamy key and those of the own wine, with memories of dry herbs, sunny grapes ripe fruit with excellent acidity, with a silky, fatty touch and intense and persistent taste in the mouth.
- Colour Beautiful golden yellow colour with bright lemon-tinted reflections.
- Nose In the nose it is fine, with great elegance, combined with hints of flowers, frits and hazelnuts.
- Palate In the mouth, it is dry with just enough acidity to make it fresh and lively with a structured and tasting finish of ripe fruit.
- Food pairing This wine pairs well with most types of seafood and shellfish, white meats, salads, risottos as well as mild cheeses and nuts.